Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Raw Hearts

You've given your heart to no one
I've given it to all
Now you throw it into scarred hands
Just to watch it fall

Every chance I've had,
I've packaged up my heart
Hoping the receiver
Wouldn't tear the gift apart

Every chance you've had,
you've built walls to keep you strong
Years of broken dreams,
leaving you no where to belong

We've spent our years searching,
for that one elusive hope.
Someone to fix the brokenness
and help us find a way to cope

But time is a fickle thing,
Sometimes fate is not our friend
And we can't rely on someone else
to fix what we should mend.

I've learned enough of love
to know it doesn't always last.
It can feel like perfect bliss
then blow up in a  fiery blast.

Experience and time have taught me
more than I wish to know
It's brought me shining to the top
It's dragged me down below

We have to learn when to run,
when to walk and when to crawl
Or else we may hold a broken thing
while its skin is far  too raw.

No comments: